The research done on this website is made possible by commissions earned through sales from affiliate links shared within the content. Learn more here.
Simple rationality demands that we take care of where we spend most of our time daily. You should be now being familiar with the time you spend in bed compared with time spent in other daily activities. If you agree with the statistics that every man spends one-third of their life in bed compared to time spent on the sofa or in the car every day, then we need to pay more attention to our mattress.
While we spend so much on the sitting room sofa and invest heavily on our car upholstery, we hardly give as much attention to our bedding. What we do often is to look for cheap bed options just to have anything to sleep with. Possibly, we do not give so much attention to our bed because we are often asleep whenever we use it, so we do not appreciate it as much as we do with our sitting room couch and car seat.
What we do often is to find a cheap mattress anytime we intend to buy one for our use. However, buying a cheap bed does not mean you should not consider quality and rather than looking for just any cheap bed, it is high time you started to find the best among the cheap beds to compliment your sleep and offer a relaxing time in bed.
Anyone who understands the essence of quality, buying the best mattress on a budget is the idea thing for cost-effective spending. In a situation where finding the quality on a budget is a hard nut to crack with ubiquitous online mattress companies, having a way to preview and narrow your option before buying will be excellent; this is the scope of this guide!
To help you find the best cheap mattress, this guide is written to provide the lead for you. Before we discuss the nitty-gritty of the guide, you should note that the focus of this article on price is Queen Size bed. The larger size beds such as King or Cal King cost more while, the smaller sizes such as Full and Twin are in the lower category.
Essential concepts: Shipping, Returns, Trial Periods, and Warranties
It is necessary to learn about bed-in-box before going into detail discussion about each mattress under review in this post. The bed-in-box mattresses are transported for free to your home sealed in a box, and that is where it got the name. Upon arrival, before use, it needs unboxed and left to inflate for about 48 hours.
After unboxed you have a risk-free trial period to determine if you like the bed or not. As a marketing tradition, all online mattress companies offer the trial period. If you are satisfied with what you have, go ahead and keep it and if not, you can activate the return and refund policy to implement the risk-free trial and get your refund according to the terms and conditions.
A 100-night trail is the industry standard for the risk-free trial, although some sellers offer more or less. You can also purchase your mattress from Amazon, but you will have to cope with the e-commerce giant return policy which is a 30 days trial period. Besides the 30 days return policy constraint of Amazon, you also need to comply with other terms and conditions from the online store.
In addition to the trial period, you also get the extended warranty which is a standard most mattress companies offer for quality assurance. For the extended warranty, the common period provided is ten years. This extended period is sufficient, but some companies offer more to provide full information about the performance of your bed.
The Best Cheap Mattresses
1. LUCID 10-Inch Gel Memory Foam Cheap Mattress
7. Sweet Night 10-Inch Gel Memory Foam Affordable Mattress
8. Classic Brands 14-Inch Cool Gel Memory Foam Cheap Mattress
The Best Cheap Mattresses Table
The Best Cheap Mattresses Reviews
LUCID 10-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress Review
Ratings: 4.0 out of 5 stars
Customer Satisfaction: 75%
Item Weight: 55 pounds
It's a gel type mattress that is among favorable choices for buyers wanting a cost-effective mattress. The high point of this mattress is its features that rank well among favorite brands but are cheaper comparatively.
It is a two layers, 10 inches thick mattress structured as follows:
- The comfort layer is made of a 2.5 inches LUCID memory foam;
- The foundation layer supports the mattress with 7.5 inches of high-density foam.
- The mattress provides spine realignment and improves body posture using the gel-infused memory foam, and helps to minimize any aches and feature the following:
- It uses “open cell” technology to eliminate motion transfer concern which makes it possible for partners to sleep without worry about sleep disturbances.
- The mattress is approved by CertiPUR-US which gives users the confidence the mattress complies with all health standards.
- It has a medium-firm feel and dispels heat really well to eliminate all worries about heat retention.
- The Tencel blend cover ensure a good airflow with guaranteed cool temperature to sleep cool in the gel infused bed
- Above all, this model is an affordable choice if you are on a budget and want the comforts of memory foam!
Comfort feel with gel memory foam
Exceptional positive consumer reviews
Only one firmness model to choose
Signature Sleep Memoir 12-Inch Memory Foam Mattress Review
Ratings: 4.1 out of 5 stars
Customer Satisfaction: 81%
Item Weight: 68.2 pounds
This is 12 inches thick mattress consisting of two layers:
- The base layer is 4-inches of viscoelastic memory foam;
- The foundation level has 8 inches of poly-based and high-density foam.
The supportive layer of the mattress supports the body weight evenly which relieves pressure on sensitive areas such as shoulders, hips, and feet. Also, it offers the following supports:
- The poly-base and high-density foam provide sufficient support and proper cushioning needed for contouring the body’s natural curves.
- The excellent features of the mattress, back sleepers are adequately supported as required for comfortable rest in bed! If the bed is considered a bit too firm, a topper may be added, by the heavier or side sleeper.
- It offers premium longevity because of the stable foundational level.
- It eliminates motion transfer using the combination of memory and the high-density foam for a no disturbance sleep from a partner who moves a lot when sleeping.
- It has ultra-soft and breathable fabric cover to maintain a cool rest.
- It CertiPUR-US certified to guarantee peace of mind that the mattress is manufactured free of toxic materials.
- It is shipped rolled and vacuum packed in a box to let it expand for about 48 before ready to use, ensuring it is all set and odor free.
- It’s a value for money considering what it offers.
Minimal motion transfer
1 year Limited warranty
Zinus Ultima Comfort Memory Foam 12-Inch Mattress Review
Ratings: 4.4 out of 5 stars
Customer Satisfaction: 87%
Item Weight: 89 pounds
This product is 12 inches thick with four layers:
- 3 inches of comfort foam
- 3 inches of memory foam
- 6 inches of high-density foam base support
- It is an eco-friendly mattress with CertiPUR-US certification.
- Infused Bio Foam natural plant oils to sustain the freshness in its memory foam.
- No off-gassing meaning it stays fresher for longer and safer for users and the environment.
- The comfort foam provides excellent pressure relief and helps reduce pain aches adequately.
- It offers more comfortable sleep than the innerspring variety although the comfort is not comparable to other memory ones.
- Dispels heat excellently, no other mattresses is similar to how it deals with heat retention to make sleep cooler.
- It offers about 5 rating in firmness scale in medium firm feel.
Certified by CertiPUR-US
Very affordable compared to other similar mattresses
Natural materials and no off-gassing
No set trial period
Develop to full size after opening the product will take some days
You pay the shipping fees when returning it
Best Price Mattress 12-Inch Memory Foam Mattress Review
Ratings: 4.3 out of 5 stars
Customer Satisfaction: 86%
Item Weight: 77 pounds
It is 12 inches thick, four layers best cheap mattress:
- 2.5-inch charcoal infused memory foam
- 3-inch pressure relief system super soft foam
- 6.5 high-density foam to provide enhanced sleep and overall support
The top structure sports Memory Foam that will contour to your body’s natural curves and uniformly spreads your weight along the mattress sleep surface to offer maximum comfort and prevent tossing and turning that ruins blissful night rest. The following features are the high point of the bed:
- Active charcoal to ensure its removal of body moisture and odor.
- It sleeps you cool all night compared to a traditional bed with the problem of heat retention.
- Its super soft foam helps to minimize and relieved all sensitive pressure points to enjoy a soothing and relaxed sleep.
- It is firm enough to prevent deep sink and sufficiently soft to ease pressure points.
- It is made in China but certified in the US by CertiPUR – it eliminates any chemical-related health risks.
- Inflation time, when unpacked, helps to eradicate strong odor; ensure to observe recommended inflation time in the open air outside before using it.
- It’s a mattress on a budget that is a cost-effective solution for a quality mattress at an affordable price.
- Popularly endorsed by a large customer as the most comfortable mattresses they have ever used.
Great value for money
Offer considerable comfort and excellent pressure relief
Sleep really cool thanks to the charcoal-infused
Least motion transfer due to advanced technology
Off-gassing – strong odor when unpacked
Sleep a bit hot
Sleep Innovations Shiloh 12-inch Memory Foam Mattress Review
Ratings: 4.0 out of 5 stars
Customer Satisfaction: 82%
Item Weight: 80 pounds
This is 12-inch thick mattress comprising of two layers:
- 2.5-inch comfort layer sporting SureTemp Memory foam
- 9.5-inch base support-plus foam
The Sleep Innovations, which are based in the USA, have succeeded in designing several quality beds, due to expertise gathered over a few years of being in the mattress industry. This latest model, the Sleep Innovations New Shiloh, is an improved version that has combined beauty with quality to continue the production of superior mattresses and to retain their excellent customer service and satisfaction. Its other features are:
- Support and align the back and total body weight.
- Has an improved look, cushioning and firmness suitable for average-weighted to heavy sleepers
- May release odor, as reported recently.
- It comes with good packaging and an average warranty of about 20years
- It has recently proven to be one of the most affordable mattresses at such quality
Excellent motion isolation
Great comfort/support trade-off and Universal Feel
Has a comparative cost advantage over substitute brands
Not CertiPUR-US certified
It sleeps hot
Zinus Memory Foam 12-Inch Green Tea Mattress Review
Price: Check on Amazon
Ratings: 4.1 out of 5 stars
Customer Satisfaction: 78%
Item Weight: 62.5 pounds
The Zinus Green Tea incredibly gives you a range of thicknesses, between 8-inch, 10-inch and 12-inches, and sizes, from twin to Cal King, which you can comfortably choose from. It is 12-inch thick and has four layers listed below:
- 3-inch memory foam
- 2-inch Comfort Foam
- 3.5-inch Airflow High-density Foam
- 3.5-inch Airflow High-density Base Support Foam
- Its comfort foam excellently relives tension and comforts the sleeper. Anybody that really appreciates comfort would love this bed. It also has the following features:
- It has an average firmness of about 6 of 10, making it universally accepted
- It also gives little motion transfer, support and because of the high-density foams, it also lasts long.
- Weighing approximately 70 pounds, and takes between 4-8 days of free shipping before arriving in a compressed box.
Great customer service
Minimal motion transfer
Provides solid support and reduces tension
Does not bounce like latex
Also sleeps hot
Sweetnight 10-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress Review
Ratings: 4.6 out of 5 stars
Customer Satisfaction: 90%
Item Weight: 72 pounds
The Sweetnight Memory Foam Mattress is suitable particularly for people that sleep on their stomachs. Also, it comes with an average firmness and supports the body solidly.
- It has an average firmness level that gives a reasonable level of comfort.
- The mattress comes in only queen and king sizes and is not suitable for people without the bed sizes.
- The mattress also features three layers that include two layers of gel infused memory foam, and the third layer of support foam at the base of the mattress.
- It has two different faces with different firmnesses that you can choose from
- The different firmnesses will allow you to save the money you would have spent on separate beds.
- It gives you a 10-year warranty and refund period in case it does not suit you.
Easy to position
Has only two sizes
Classic Brands Cool Gel Memory Foam 14-Inch Mattress Review
Ratings: 4.3 out of 5 stars
Customer Satisfaction: 84%
Item Weight: 85.1 pounds
The 14-Inch Mattress has two supplementary pillows and comes in various sizes as follows:
- Twin sizes
- Extra dimensions
- Large twin sizes
- Full sizes
- Queen sizes
- King sizes
- California king sizes
It had heavy and ventilated cool gel memory foam with premium memory foam that relieves tension to allow for a comfortable night. The features provide both support and relieve. Its other features are:
- It has aesthetic matching knit, and waterfall edge side panels and its medium-plush feel with adjustable base capability provide support.
- It meets the standard of the CertiPUR-US program by combining durability with function.
- The high-density base form enhances the body and relieves tension, therefore giving support.
- The memory foam is also natural antimicrobial that wards off bacteria, dust mites, allergens, and mold.
Cooler than some foam mattresses
Too firm for some people
Still a little warm to sleep on
What to Expect With “Cheap” Options
In the under $500 category, you will definitely find good mattresses if you can take your time to check. Since you are going for this category, you will typically find pure foam mattresses, although you might be lucky to get hybrid types. In a nutshell, you will not get superior quality and durable mattresses.
Assuming you got an under $500 mattress with innerspring, as the years go by, the coils will start to lose their spring and support, and the foam quality will quickly deteriorate, as it is established that lower density foams lose their efficiency fast.
Moreover, lower-priced mattresses and low-density foams will provide less support. A few people might be okay with this type of bed, particularly people that like sinking into their mattresses. These types of people will find the bed beneficial, that is, if they do not develop backache. Nonetheless, people that sleep on their backs or stomachs or both, which require more support, should not settle for such bed.
In spite of everything, if you want to go for a cheap bed and quality at the same time, you may succeed in getting a suitable bed in terms of price and health.
If you are going for this price range, you should keep in mind that you will only get fair-quality products, in limited varieties and lower durability. It is not very advisable to settle for this bed category.
Majority of beds in this category will also be mostly memory foam, but you might also be lucky to get hybrid mattresses, like in the under $500 category. The mattress quality will not be similar to the mattresses between the $500 and $1,000 category, but, you might still be able to make some success in terms of average quality, mainly if the bed quality is not very necessary.
Assuming the mattress is intended for a short period, probably for a college apartment, or for money-managing purposes, you might not need to spend more, so the bed is a good catch for you!
If you are settling for this category, you will get limited varieties, with lesser support and durability. But, if it is intended for short-term use, then it is a more reasonable choice than buying a more expensive mattress. Typically, for this price range, you will get memory foam beds, but you might be lucky enough to come across lower-quality hybrids mattresses.
Keep it in mind that to go budget-conscious, you should consider a Full instead of a Queen, which might help you save between $30 and $100. An average queen measures 60 inches by 80 inches long, while an average Full or double mattress measures 54 inches by 75 inches. This idea helps you to save money and quality, mainly if the mattress is for a child, teen or just you and therefore do not need much space.
If you want to settle for mattresses below $100, you should know that you can only find old mattresses, air-blown mattresses or other few choices if you are lucky enough. To find decent mattresses, you should check Craigslist and carefully pick your mattresses. This procedure is not only because you do not know the former owner, but because it is not safe to take in a mattress that you don't know anything about the history of the owner.
Firstly, remember how much dirt and stain you had left on your own mattress, then think about if you want to sleep on another person’s stains. Of course, you will clean the bed before using it; but do you know the kind of microorganisms that might be living inside the mattress and that you want to bring close to your family?
Unless you do not have any alternatives, try as much as possible to avoid buying a cheap, revamped bed. Majority of them are useless grubby mattresses with new covers wrapped around them.
Who Is The Affordable Bed For?
Before buying a bed, you want to take into consideration, if the bed you are buying if going to suit the person that is going to sleep in it. It is particularly necessary when you are trying to keep the price within your financial reach as you pay more for mattresses with higher quality.
However, if you are a single sleeper and probably weigh 105lb, you do not need so many features and therefore would not spend so much on getting a bed that would comfortably suit you. On the other hand, couples, for example, each probably 200lb back sleeper, and 140lb side sleeper respectively would need to spend more to get a mattress that would fit individual partners.
For couples, it’s also advisable to get a mattress with solid edge support, especially if you are considering a full or queen over a king size bed to save some money. Motion transfer control is another thing couples should consider. A mattress with poor motion transfer control will cause one of you to wake up whenever the other turns away from or leaves the bed to get or do something.
Sleeper type, ranging from back, stomach, side, or a combination sleep types, is another essential factor to consider before buying a mattress, especially in determining the firmness of your bed.
For back sleepers or stomach sleepers, firmer beds are the best choice for them, as they align the users by providing support around the hips and trunk area. Extremely soft beds are not suitable as the hips will sink, causing the sleeper to wake up with pain.
Side sleepers or combo sleepers, on the other hand, need softer mattresses. The softness of the mattress relieves pressure at the side of the sleeper. However, it is advisable for Combo sleepers to get a mattress that is a bit firmer than what a pure side sleeper will use.
Also, it is of significant note that a person’s physique (size and body type) determines the texture of the bed too. For instance, a bed that is soft for a heavier person might be medium-firm for a smaller person.
Long vs. Short-Term Solution
The amount you intend paying for a mattress depends on how long you are planning to use it. Assuming you plan on using a mattress for several years, then you want to consider paying a bit more than you would typically. Getting a bed within the $750 to $1,000 range should last you eight to ten years, sometimes, for as long as you want to use it. Not only do these beds last longer, but they also provide a higher level of comfort and durability.
On the other hand, you can pay less if the bed is for short-term use. Nevertheless, you should not just buy it because of the price, but keep in mind that saving your money now and buying a cheaper bed will mean several replacements in the long run. Thus, you may end up paying more.
In the long run, you might end up paying the same amount or even more, assuming you get a $300 mattress and you replace it every three to five years, the sum will eventually amount to $750 to $1,000, which is the price for beds that will last for 10 or more years comfortably.
How Weight Affects How a Mattress Feels
In every written review and video that we make, we try to emphasize that texture of mattresses differ to different people based on the weight and general body form.
Typically, the texture of a bed is rated in terms of how the average sized person feels it. We’ll say specifically if we are going to rate the texture of a mattress based on a heavy person or pieties person’s feelings. Nonetheless, it is worthy of note that all ratings we make here are based on personal experience, which may not be the same with yours.
On a general scale, a heavier individual will find a bed a lifted individual found firm as soft.
On the one hand, heavier sleepers, about 225 lb+ or above, should patronize firmer mattresses with a thicker structure that will support them and prevent them from sinking soft beds do.
On the other hand, small sleepers, around 110 lb, should go for softer beds. Nonetheless, they can use firmer beds, as they are not really affected by bed firmness as much as heavier people are concerned.
In the case of couples with very different weights, they may deliberate on a bed with an average firmness scale, considering the two sides. However, if they are going in the interest of one partner, it is advisable to go in the interest of the heavier partner, as the lighter partner can find comfort in different firmness ranges of beds.
The cost of materials used in a mattress construction influences the final price and its the reason why two mattresses cost differently. Likewise, mattress with different layers to form a higher thickness will require more than one with lesser thickness, such as the difference between 13-inches and 10-inches will be more in favor of the thicker one. Therefore, the material used significantly influence the final price, which pretty makes sense of the overall quality of the bed.
With regards to materials, two categories called Foam and Coils mainly exist. Naturally, contain in these categories are various options to choose. For instance, a mattress can be made of polyfoam, memory foam, latex foam, or a combination to have the hybrid variant. And we can have a mattress with coils that can be traditional innerspring or pocketed coils.
In a nutshell, there is a price difference between a hybrid and an all-foam bed in term of price. While the all-foam bed will be more affordable, the hybrid stands to be more expensive because of the materials. The hybrid makes up will include memory foam and pocketed coils which are more costly than using only a material.
With all said and done, it is noteworthy to ensure the materials used in making the bed are certified by CeriPUR-US to guarantee your safety. The certification will show that the mattress you just bought is free of harmful chemicals and safe for you and eco-friendly.
As already mentioned above, the materials used in the making of a mattress will determine the quality and price. Furthermore, the use of materials comes with different options to have the right material to achieve the intended purpose of the bed. We will reexamine common materials below to see what options of mattress you have:
• Memory foam. This is a denser material that softens with time and under heat. If a sleeper sleeps on a spot, that part of memory foam will sink and give the sleeping surface a dent like a sink and make people feel stuck.
• Gel memory foam. This is a newer technology much like memory foam, but gel infused that help to regulate temperature for cool sleep.
• Latex mattress. This has a spongy feel making it bouncy and airy for a cooler rest because of its breathability. It can be synthetic or natural but common in the market are the natural and organic variants.
• Polyurethane foam. This is very much like the foam mattress, and it’s the chief material used in a mattress as support for the all-in-one mattress and may exist in different densities and are quite inexpensive.
• Pocketed coils or traditional innerspring. These materials are used to give mattress it’s bouncy and responsive which makes it breathable and cause air to circulate sufficiently to guarantee a cool sleep. Between these two, the difference is that the pocketed coils are separately encased, but the innersprings are all linked. The linkage and low point inelasticity cause a motion transfer that spread motion around the bed.
• Gel or Hyper-Elastic Polymer. Some mattresses use these materials to achieve unique feel and weight and at the same time to make the bed comfortable. Though beds that use this material are referred to as puh-rice-ee, and they are costly and may not fall within your this “Cheap Mattress” article.
I don’t know anyone who likes to sleep in the excessively hot bed. Where there is a warm sleeper, finding the right bed may be a problem. But if you understand what you need, finding a bed to sleep cool is affordable and within your reach.
While you are looking for a cool-sleeping bed the rule of thumb to follow is to avoid a bed with dense material. The issue is, when a mattress is made up of all dense foam, it will not allow airflow. On the other hand, Pocketed coils allow good airflow that keeps the bed cool. This is not suggesting the hopelessness of foam bed as the coolness differs from foam to foam. However, the Latex foam helps to sleep cooler than memory foam.
While thinking about all the points above, you also need to consider the mattress feel and firmness. A mattress that is soft with sinking feel keeps you inside the bed as opposed to being on it; this will trap heat around your body all night long.
Cheap Mattress Risks
This is a common concern in mattress on a budget review, and this is for a good reason. It happens when unboxing a new bed got hit with a chemical odor. The materials used for making the foam often cause the smell because it contains what is called Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs).
Although off-gassing is a subject for discussion about the chemical being harmful or not? While scientists are yet to establish the toxicity of the compound, the odor is offensive enough to warrant keeping a distance.
Mostly, cheap mattresses contain chemicals that produce off-gassing and are deemed dangerous. They are referred to as ozone-depleting substance such as chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), benzene, formaldehyde, and others.
For your mind to be at peace regarding off-gassing and the possibility of encountering harmful chemical, it is recommended to check out the mattress certification called CertiPUR-US. While the certified bed may still contain chemicals, you will be assured that it is safe to use.
The sagging result from the density of foam; while high density will guaranty a sag-free use the same cannot be said of low-density foams. That means lower density material will be less durable because of the pocket of air in it which will give way with time and become sagged. Unfortunately, a sagged mattress is always uncomfortable for sleeping!
Therefore, you’re the victim of sagging when you feel your bed sinking. Even worse is the feeling you are rolling down a hill due to your partner’s weight causing deep and indenting incline.
It is not all cheap beds that sag, but it is essential to pay close attention to the quality of the material used in any cheap mattress you are buying. Another way to determine quality is to check out the warranty as no manufacturer will offer a longer sleep trial and long term warranty for an inferior product.
Wear & Tear
Beyond sagging, daily use of your mattress can impact its life and cheaper brands not carefully selected tend to wear faster. Therefore, you need to pay closer attention to the mattress fabric as well as the materials used to ensure they will stand the test of time. You should also choose a bed with removable covers to help clean it up when it stained as this may void the warranty. Having a removable bed cover allows regular and thorough cleanings.
Do not judge the quality of a mattress where it’s made. The reason bed is made locally is to solve shipping because of the bulkiness of the product. When selecting your mattress, you can as well choose brands made overseas as many of them do promise high-quality material usage and are certified by CertiPUR-US to guarantee the quality. However, you should exercise caution when shopping for your mattress and follow due diligence in the selection process. Also, make sure you buy a product certified for sales in the US.
Our research shows quality and price are not always 100% connected. You can find premium quality bed under $500 or get it even cheaper with more research. The online mattress sellers and the bed-in-box offer are bringing down prices without necessarily compromising quality. Also, competition and need to control market share is impacting prices without affecting quality. As long as you observe due diligence in your search for the next mattress, you can select the best cheap mattress that is long lasting.
You May Also Be Interested in the Next Posts on Our Website: