Modern living and stress go hand in hand, and good sleep has never been more important human history than it is in today’s world. The recommended time for sleeping every day is 8 hours, and that means about 33% of our lifetime is spent on sleeping. While a lot of people believe in sleeping for only a few hours which is always below the recommended 8 hours so that they can get more done at work, in their businesses or academically, not getting enough sleep is not healthy. It affects how the body and mind function, and it can also inhibit the body from performing to its full capacity. One of the good things you can gift yourself is creating time to get enough rest by sleeping.
But then, while we are focused on getting a good sleep every night, we should also not forget about how to get that good sleep which is to create a comfortable sleeping environment. This includes a good mattress and quality bedding accessories which include an excellent pillow. A good pillow is important. Your pillow complements your bed, and if you have a comfortable bed with an uncomfortable and lumpy pillow, this could cause discomfort for you when sleeping.
Getting the best pillow available is one of the best things you can do for yourself. And to do that, first find out what the structure of your neck is like. The most delicate and most mobile vertebra along your spinal cord make up your cervical vertebra, and this is the structure that allows for the mobility, twisting and turning and tilting of the head. While those tiny bones do such an important job, they are also prone to getting misaligned. If you have ever experienced a strained neck while sleeping, then you have an idea of what this is like.
Now, think about what angle your neck will be whenever you sleep. If your pillow is a standard pillow, your neck may be positioned awkwardly for many hours and for as long as you continue sleeping. According to a recent study that compared different types of pillows, the pillows used in the study include contoured memory foam pillows, down pillows, goose-down pillows, and orthopedic pillows. The one made of goose-down provided the lowest level of support.
The perfect pillow for every individual may not be the same as sleeping positions also vary from person to person. But in the end, the pillow that provides enough support to your spine's natural curve is the most suitable and best pillow for you. This might seem like too much information for you to understand, but the bottom line is that you should not just use any pillow. Your spinal health is important, and the kind of pillow you use directly affects it; therefore, you need to be informed before you settle for just any kind of pillow. We have compiled some of the best pillows to guide you when choosing a pillow to help you sleep better.
The Best Pillows
The Best Memory Foam Pillow - Coop Home Goods
The Best Cervical Support Pillow - YourFacePillow
The Best Latex Pillow - Simmons Beautyrest
The Best Wedge Pillow - FitPlus
The Best Down Pillow - DOWNLITE
The Best Feather Pillow - Canadian Down and Feather Co.
The Best Buckwheat Pillow - ComfySleep
The Best Body Pillow - Milliard
The Best Pillow for Side Sleepers - Pillow of Health
The Best Pillow for Stomach Sleepers - Belly Sleep
THE BEST PILLOWS TABLE
The Best Memory Foam Pillow
The Best Cervical Support Pillow
The Best Latex Pillow
The Best Wedge Pillow
The Best Down Pillow
The Best Feather Pillow
The Best Buckwheat Pillow
The Best Body Pillow
The Best Pillow for Side Sleepers
The Best Pillow for Stomach Sleepers
THE BEST PILLOWS REVIEWS
Coop Home Goods Pillow Review
Ratings: 4.3 out of 5 stars
Customer Satisfaction: 82%
Product Dimensions: 18 x 9.5 x 7.5 inches
Item Weight: 7.6 pounds
This premium quality adjustable pillow is one of the best pillows in the market, and it is the best memory foam pillow that you can get. It also has anti-snoring capabilities and depending on your preference; you can remove or add shredded memory foam to make it more convenient for your sleeping position. This pillow helps you improve your sleeping position and makes it easier for you to breathe which reduces snoring and lets you sleep throughout the night uninterrupted and comfortably.
The Coop Home Goods Memory Foam Pillow is manufactured in Los Angeles, California and it is made without any toxic material or allergens like formaldehyde, lead, heavy metals, mercury, flame retardants, TDCPP, ozone depleters, PBDE and phthalates. The pillow also satisfies all of CertiPUR-US’ standard filling requirements. It has a smooth knitted inner lining made from interlock material. It has undergone an extensive durability test, and it is free of any form of emission. It comes with a warranty of five years in which the manufacturer claims that the pillow will not flatten. If you end up not satisfied with the performance of the pillow, you are entitled to a 30-day full refund policy with no questions asked. The pillow can be washed in a washing machine, and it is resistant to dust mite as well as hypoallergenic.
The pillow is customizable to suit your sleeping position.
It is a high-quality pillow that delivers all that it promises.
It is a suitable option for people dealing with neck pain.
It has anti-snoring capabilities.
It is breathable and therefore, keeps you cool throughout the night.
It keeps you comfortable.
Coop has an excellent customer support service team.
You have to wash and air before you use it.
Its appearance does not look all that durable.
There is the possibility of buying a fake one because there are too many clones of the product in the market.
YourFacePillow Pillow Review
Ratings: 4.7 out of 5 stars
Customer Satisfaction: 91%
Product Dimensions: 12 x 12 x 6 inches
Item Weight: 1.5 pounds
If you need a pillow that provides the best support for your cervical vertebrae, the YourFacePillow is the best cervical support pillow that you should buy. According to studies, when you add pressure to your skin and face while sleeping, it leads to wrinkles, aging of the skin and acne. YourFacePillow works differently by allowing you to bury your face into the pillow as often as you want and still not experience any of these skin problems. YourFacePillow provides support to your head.
The foam used in YourFacePillow is certified by CertiPUR, and the pillow is made without using any toxic material such as lead, phthalates, mercury, formaldehyde, TCEP flame retardants, heavy metals, and PBDEs.
This pillow comes with a bamboo cover that is removable and washable. It is hypoallergenic and has a separate silk case. Ensure that you use the factory case so you can fully enjoy its performance.
The pillow is comfortable and soft.
It conforms to the head and wraps around your head as you sleep.
It provides adequate support for the neck to prevent it from bending awkwardly while sleeping.
It has anti-snoring capabilities.
It comes with cooling material to make the pillow more comfortable.
It has a high level of durability.
There is a responsive customer service team on the ground i
In case you have a problem with the pillow.
It is only suitable for back sleepers.
Simmons Beautyrest Pillow Review
Ratings: 4.4 out of 5 stars
Customer Satisfaction: 87%
Product Dimensions: 15.3 x 10.4 x 7.1 inches
Item Weight: 3.1 pounds
This extra-firm pillow made by Simmons is the best latex pillow, and it guarantees a night of comfortable and plush sleep regardless of your favorite sleeping position. It is made from latex 100%, and it comes in a sateen zipper cover. This pillow has an extra-firm feel and yet feels cozy. It helps you lead a clean and healthy lifestyle and also ensures that you sleep in the healthiest way possible with its ability to fight against microorganisms. You can wash it with a washing machine, and it is capable of giving your bedroom the coziness a bedroom should have.
- It is a supportive bedding accessory with a thread count of 250.
- Its zipper cover is made of sateen.
- It is made from 100 percent latex finished with an extra-firm feel.
It provides immense comfort that helps you enjoy your night sleep.
It is capable of providing support for any sleeping position.
You have to air it before you use it for the first time.
FitPlus Pillow Review
Ratings: 4.2 out of 5 stars
Customer Satisfaction: 81%
Product Dimensions: 24 x 28 x 7.5 inches
Item Weight: 4.5 pounds
If you have heard about wedge pillows before, this is the best wedge pillow in the market currently. It provides support to your shoulders and the upper part of your back as well as help you achieve a healthier sleeping position.
It has anti-snoring and neck relief capabilities. It also helps with breathing problems, allergies, acid reflux and back pain. The pillow has an ergonomic shape which helps you sleep in a much better posture and tackle any orthopedic health problems that you may have in your shoulders, neck, and spine. Place the wedge uprightly against your head while you read or watch TV. You can also use it as an elevation for your feet and legs.
This pillow has 1.5 inches of memory foam placed on top of a polyurethane foam base. It has therapeutic qualities and provides support to keep you comfortable. The inclusion of the memory foam in this pillow is for contouring purposes as the pillow contours to your neck and shoulders to help you achieve restful and comfortable sleep.
This foam comes with a breathable and soft removable cover to help you maintain a comfortable temperature as you sleep. You can wash this cover in a washing machine.
It helps reduce snoring.
Its incline is comfortable and you can do a lot of things while resting on it.
It comes with a cover that can be removed and washed.
It is firm, yet pleasant.
It kicks against sleeping on your side.
It feels a bit heavy.
It requires airing before use.
DOWNLITE Pillow Review
Ratings: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Customer Satisfaction: 86%
Product Dimensions: 36 x 20 x 6 inches
Item Weight: 2 pounds
If you sleep face down, the best type of pillow ideal for you is down pillow, and the Downlite pillow is the best down pillow. This pillow provides the elevation your head needs, and when you place your head on it, the pressure flattens it a bit, and it gets plump when you take your head off it. If you are looking for an affordable pillow while enjoying the coziness that a comfortable pillow offers, the Downlite down pillow is the ideal option for you. It is also an excellent option if you need an extra pillow to your feathering pillow to give it more elevation.
It provides all the support you need even though it is capable of flattening under pressure.
The material it is made from is resilient and thus, makes it suitable to be washed in a machine.
It is hypoallergenic.
It is affordable.
It is easy to maintain and convenient to use.
It is made from duck down feathers.
It molds easily and provides adequate support.
Even though it is one of the affordable pillows, it is too expensive for a pillow made from duck down feather.
It has the tendency to lose feathers over time.
The compression could be too much to provide the support that you need.
Canadian Down and Feather Co. Pillow Review
Ratings: 4.7 out of 5 stars
Customer Satisfaction: 92%
Product Dimensions: 23.8 x 15.8 x 7.5 inches
Item Weight: 5.5 pounds
Often, people usually complain about feather pillows that their surface is too soft to support their head and shoulders. This Canadian Down and Feathers Co is the best feather pillow and does not have its users lodging this kind of complaint. The pillow has two firmness levels – Firm and Medium and any type of sleeper can use the pillow. Even sleepers that have larger heads and broad shoulders can use this pillow.
The pillow has three internal chambers, and its feather fill distributes evenly inside the pillow in a way that the pillow does not clump. It also has an outer chamber that is filled with goose down to give the pillow soft edges. The center chamber helps keep the pillow in shape with the goose feather fill inside it, and it is responsible for the support gotten from the pillow. The pillow is also highly breathable thanks to the cover made from 100% cotton that helps you sleep coolly through the night. You can get this pillow in the Standard size, King size, and Queen size. You also get to enjoy a warranty of five years on the pillow.
Any type of sleeper can use the pillow including heavier people.
It is suitable for sleepers who experience night sweats.
It is the best option for people who do not like soft pillows.
It is a bit pricey.
ComfySleep Pillow Review
Ratings: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Customer Satisfaction: 86%
Product Dimensions: 15 x 23 x 3 inches
Item Weight: 5 pounds
This is one of the best pillows worth every penny spent on them. If you are looking for maximum comfort, it delivers just that, and it is the best pillow made from buckwheat hulls. Some sleepers prefer pillows filled with buckwheat hulls because it is beneficial to the health and can help you restore your sleeping patterns back to normal.
BUCKWHEAT HULLS GROWN IN THE UNITED STATES.
You must have already known the benefits of buckwheat and especially if they are used in pillows. Buckwheat hulls are the outer parts of buckwheat seeds and are the remaining parts after processing buckwheat. The structure of buckwheat hulls is 3D-like, and it allows air to flow easily through them. Buckwheat hulls using in pillows help your head and neck. These pillows are also manufactured in the United States of America and do not require the use of fumigants.
ORGANIC COTTON FABRIC
Pillows made from buckwheat hulls stand put because of their impressive physical features. The fabrics are made using cotton grown organically and milled in Texas. The milling process converts the cotton into a durable and soft fabric to keep you comfortable.
TAKING CARE OF THIS PILLOW
Use a pillowcase to prevent wear and tear.
Ensure the pillow is kept dry and in a cool place with enough airflow so that the buckwheat hulls do not deteriorate in quality.
Do not put the entire buckwheat hull in the washing machine when you want to wash. Empty the hulls from the pillow first, then, wash the pillow cover separately in the washing machine.
This is a handmade pillow made in the United States.
It is made using buckwheat hulls which are organic.
The pillow comes with an organic cotton case and a zipper for adjusting it.
It is healthy, durable and provides adequate support.
It is a bit pricey.
Getting used to it takes time.
Milliard Pillow Review
Ratings: 4.3 out of 5 stars
Customer Satisfaction: 84%
Product Dimensions: 17 x 12 x 8.2 inches
Item Weight: 7.87 pounds
This is the best body pillow currently, and if you ever need to buy a body pillow, the best ones are the one made with down and feather fills. They are the most comfortable and the coziest. They help relieve body aches and align with the shape of your body properly. The only disadvantage of these types of pillow fills is that they lose their shape after a while. Also, some individuals have allergic reactions to feather. Alternatively, the right type of alignment that your body needs can be gotten from shredded memory foams and these do not trigger any allergic reactions. The only issue that many users have with shredded memory foam is that it is heavy.
Milliard uses a top –grade VOC bio-green memory foam approved by CertiPUR-US to ensure that you enjoy the best night of sleep whenever you use the product. Considering the type of materials used to make this pillow, it is one of the best body pillows out there.
Whenever you use this pillow, it helps you maintain balance in your sleeping position and even after a long time of use, it does not flatten out. It is also a breathable product with excellent air circulation to ensure that you do not experience night sweats.
- The foam is a blend of polyester, Lycra, and viscose.
- It provides balance during sleep.
- It has a dimension of 20 x 54 inches.
- It is hypoallergenic.
- It comes with a 120-night sleep trial with money back guarantee if you are not satisfied.
- It is eco-friendly.
It is soft and cuddles well against the body.
It is filled with chopped memory foam which is ideal for those who are allergic to down and feathers.
It provides adequate support for your muscles and bones.
It helps get rid of respiratory problems while sleeping.
It has a lightweight so that you can carry it around more easily.
It has a guarantee of 20 years.
It is machine-washable.
It has excellent air circulation.
It is hypoallergenic.
According to some customers, the product is too heavy.
Pillow of Health Review
Ratings: 4.1 out of 5 stars
Customer Satisfaction: 84%
Product Dimensions: 18 x 8 x 8 inches
Item Weight: 3.25 pounds
If you are a side-sleeper and you have not seen the product to choose in this list, this is the perfect pillow for you. It is made using a combination of materials which gives you the opportunity to use a pillow that you can adjust to suit your desired comfort level and therefore, get the restful sleep that you deserve.
- It has a lot of features that make it stand out from a lot of other pillows. It has a cover capable of wicking moisture away. The inner liner is a soft one and has medical benefits. It features OptiAir Fiberfill which you can adjust and Certi-PUR memory foam with a high resilient level. It is a perfect pillow that is suitable and recommended for people with snoring problems, allergies, sleep apnea, shoulder pain, etc.
- A Healthy Choice: It is made from a foam that has CertiPUR’s certification and covers with medical benefits. It does not contain any or toxic materials or chemicals. The pillow has anti-microbial properties and is resistant to dust mites.
- It is 40 times more breathable and cooler than other types of pillows. It contains a foam with high resilience, and the fill is medical grade. It also does not clump.
- By removing or adding OptiAir Fill, you can adjust the firmness from extra soft to soft, medium, firm or extra firm.
- It is a pillow with superior quality to other pillows.
It is moldable and can be molded to any shape that you like.
It does not make noise.
Its price is on the high side.
It does not last very long.
It has a lingering smell.
Belly Sleep Pillow Review
Ratings: 4.5 out of 5 stars
Customer Satisfaction: 89%
Product Dimensions: 28 x 16 x 2.5 inches
Item Weight: 3.05 pounds
This is the best pillow for you as a stomach sleeper, and it does not only help keep your spine and neck in a neutral position, it helps keep your head from rotating so you can breathe more easily. This pillow has a height of 2.5 inches, and the memory foam inside is based on polyurethane which provides a comfortable cradle for the head.
This pillow is also gel-infused and helps you sleep better as a stomach sleeper. It is also suitable for back sleepers, side sleepers and those who sleep with their arms under their pillow. The pillow has a thin, flat design which provides support to the spine to ensure you get a good night time rest.
When you unpack it, the pillow has a foamy smell, but when you leave it out in the open to the air, the smell starts to dissipate. Another option is to wash the bamboo cover. The gel particles in the Belly asleep pillow helps absorb heat and does not keep you warm while you sleep. All in all, the pillow is firm enough to make you sleep well, and it also gives you adequate support to keep your spine properly aligned.
- The constituent materials used to make the cover are bamboo and polyester which are in proportions of 60% and 40% respectively.
- It has a removable cover that wicks off moisture and is easy to wash.
- You enjoy a 100-day refund guarantee.
DETERMINING WHAT YOU NEED
The Pillow Loft
This is an important factor that helps determine what a pillow will offer. The loft of a pillow is the thickness of the pillow when it is placed flat on your bed. Some pillows have a stable loft while some have adjustable loft wither by adding to or removing from the material used to make the pillow or molding the pillow entirely.
A lot of factors are responsible for influencing the loft level of your pillow. Some of them are highlighted below;
Your sleeping position determines your neck alignment when you sleep and is also affected by how much loft your pillow has to offer. The appropriate amount of loft is important; for instance, a side sleeper needs a pillow that has a high loft for their head to be on the same level as their shoulder. This is why we usually recommend pillows with adjustable loft for side sleepers so that they can make adjustments where necessary. Stomach sleepers and back sleepers do not need much loft in their pillows because of how it can affect their neck.
The size of the head
The bigger your head is, the more loft you will need your pillow to have because of the amount of pressure the weight of the head will put on the pillow. A pillow with a high amount of loft will not compress too much.
The size and shape of the body
People who have a large body frame often weigh more and are likely to sink deep into a mattress which means the kind of pillow they would need should be one that has a low loft. If they use a pillow that has a high loft and their body sinks deeply into the bed, their neck will get bent or elongated unnecessarily which will lead to pains and aches.
The firmness of the Mattress
A former mattress has a high loft, and this has a low sink. People who have soft mattresses should buy a pillow with a low loft or the one that can be adjusted.
Width of the Shoulder
This is an important factor that side sleepers must consider. The pillow for a side sleeper must be high enough to keep the head aligned with the shoulder, and this is why side sleepers with wide shoulders go for pillows with a higher loft.
How the head is placed on the pillow
There are different ways in which you can rest your head on a pillow. Some people place their whole head on the pillow while some others place a part of their head on the pillow. How much loft your pillow should have depends on how much of your head you place on the pillow when sleeping.
TYPES OF PILLOWS AND MATERIALS USED TO MAKE PILLOWS
Pillows are made from a variety of materials and these materials help you know the kind of pillow that you should buy. The material used to fill a pillow determines the performance and characteristics of the pillow. We will check out some of the things that you should expect from a pillow based on the type of material used to make the pillow.
This is a material well known for its contouring and compression abilities. Using a pillow that is made from memory foam provides all the support your head needs because it contours perfectly under the pressure of your head.
Types of Memory Foam Pillows
- Shredded: In this type of pillow, the pillow is filled with small pieces of foam. These types of memory foam pillows are moldable without losing the support it provides. In a lot of cases, a shredded foam pillow can be adjusted to suit your preferences. In other words, you can either add to or remove from the small pieces of shredded foam to change the loft level of the pillow. It is a highly flexible pillow, and this is why most sleepers opt for them regardless of the type of sleeping position they sleep in. Memory foam is also breathable and does not retain heat
- Molded: This type of memory foam pillow is made of a single piece of foam, and it has a more consistent loft. This pillow compressed depending on the pressure it receives from your head. It is not adjustable, and it retains heat.
- Noodle Foam: This kind of pillow has the wave-like shape of a noodle. You can adjust their shape, but they come in unconventional sizes and are not the first-choice pillows for many people.
Benefits of Memory Foam Pillows
- Memory foam pillows are firmly balanced and supportive for most sleepers and have also been used to relieve pressure and pain in the past.
- Memory foam pillows are ideal for sleepers of different body types and body weight as well as back and side sleepers.
- Memory foams do not make much noise.
- Disadvantages of Memory Foam Pillows
- Off-gassing odors which linger for about two days after unpacking the pillow.
- Memory foam pillows usually cost more than other types of pillows.
Latex pillows are made using latex rubber which is a material known for high responsiveness and the ability to withstand pressure no matter how much weight you have. Latex pillows are durable and usually have a high loft but are not usually moldable except the ones made using shredded latex.
Benefits of Latex Pillows
- Latex has the ability to relieve pressure and pain while providing adequate support at the same time.
- Unlike other types of pillows, latex pillows never go out of shape, and you do not have to shake or fluff them much.
- Latex pillows do not make noise when a heavy weight comes in contact with them.
Disadvantages of Latex Pillows
- Latex pillows are expensive.
- Latex pillows are bouncy and dense; hence, not suitable for someone looking for a light and stable pillow.
- Latex pillows have a persistent unpleasant smell of rubber.
Polyfoam pillows, also known as pillows made from polyester is a broad term used to categorize foam products that are not memory foam products although, some polyfoam products have characteristics of memory foam. Pillows made from polyfoam are usually less expensive and do not have as much sink as memory foam pillows.
Benefits of Polyfoam Pillows
- They are generally cheap and are easily available.
- The polyester fibers are hypoallergenic; thus, if you are allergic to latex or down, this is an excellent option for you.
- Polyfoam pillows do not produce an unpleasant odor.
- Maintenance is easy and does not require much fluffing or shaking.
Disadvantages of Polyfoam Pillows
- They are less durable as they lose shape or flatten after a short time of use.
- They absorb and retain heat and do not provide much pressure and pain relief.
- A polyester pillow makes some noise when your weight hits it.
Natural and Organic
These are used to refer to pillows produced using natural fibers without any petrochemical or synthetic components. Examples include organic latex pillows, organic wool pillows or organic cotton pillows.
BENEFITS OF NATURAL AND ORGANIC PILLOWS
- They are softer than pillows made with synthetic materials which result in more supportive and comfortable pillows.
- High breathability.
- Heat absorption.
DISADVANTAGES OF NATURAL AND ORGANIC PILLOWS
- Very expensive and are usually in the range of $100 to $150 and some cost as much as $500 or more.
- Not easily available.
Down pillows are pillows made using feathers from goose or duck. The down is plucked from the underside of the feather’s plumage, and the resulting pillow is often light and soft. They are also usually moldable, and they compress easily.
Benefits of Down Pillows
- Very lightweight and bucks easily under pressure once the sleeper places their head on the pillow which provides a high level of comfortable sleep for the sleeper.
- Ability to absorb body heat.
- It takes a short time for down pillows to break in and the lifespan is beyond the average lifespan of all types of pillows.
Disadvantages of Down Pillows
- Down pillows are expensive and can be categorized as a high-end pillow. It goes for $200 and above.
- Down pillows may not be suitable for sleepers with large heads or shoulders because of their low loft. Some side sleepers who have broad shoulders may also not find this type of pillow suitable.
- Because of the structure of their fill, you may have to fluff out or shake your down pillow from time to time to make sure it provides the support and comfort you need.
- It may not work well for people with down allergies. It could also give off an unpleasant smell.
These are pillows designed to feel like down but are not made from down feathers. This type of pillow is made using synthetic fabrics which are cheaper and do not trigger allergies.
This type of pillow has similar attributes to down such as moldability and adjustment. The only difference is down alternative pillows do not last like true down pillows and may not be as soft as down.
Benefits of Down Alternatives
- They are cheaper than true down pillows.
- It may be a preferable option for sleepers who are allergic to down.
- Down alternative pillows have the same qualities as down pillows.
Disadvantages of Down Alternative Pillows
- They are not as durable as true down pillows.
- Many users reported that their pains and pressure increased after using down alternative pillows.
- Down alternative pillows easily lose their shape and may require regular fluffing to get back the original comfortable shape.
Buckwheat pillows are made from thousands of tiny buckwheat husks. Buckwheat husks May feel hard, but when used in a pillow, the surface of that pillow will be firm and highly supportive.
Buckwheat pillows are moldable because the husks can be pushed around to make the pillow suit your comfort level. This type of pillow is also breathable and does not retain heat. These impressive features are why many sleepers choose buckwheat pillows, but the only downside is that they are usually expensive and can make quite a lot of noise. Some people do not like their pillow making noise, and the firmness of the pillow may be a problem for some stomach sleepers.
Benefits of Buckwheat Pillows
- Buckwheat pillows deliver adequate support which is above the average of what other pillows provide.
- Most buckwheat pillow brands and models come in various customizable fill capacities to suit your preference.
- Buckwheat pillows can help with pressure and pain relief.
- Buckwheat pillows do not absorb and retain heat.
Disadvantages of Buckwheat Pillows
- Buckwheat pillows are usually expensive.
- Not every sleeper enjoys the above-average firmness level of buckwheat pillows. Some sleepers may seek for additional cushioning for them to sleep comfortably.
- It is usually heavy and may be difficult to handle and reposition while in the middle of sleep.
This should not be mixed up with down pillows although closely related. Down pillows are made mainly from duck or goose plumage whole feather pillows are made of duck or goose feathers. Usually, a feather pillow may contain 10% or less of down while some feather pillows do not contain any down at all.
Benefits of Feather Pillows
- Feather pillows are lightweight, soft and have high malleability.
- Feather pillows do not absorb a lot of heat.
- Feather pillows are highly durable, and they have a longer lifespan than other types of pillows.
- Feather pillows are not as expensive as down pillows but are usually more expensive than other types of pillows.
Disadvantages of Feather Pillows
- The quills of the feather may poke through the outer cover of the pillow which may lead to a crunching noise and discomfort.
- Feather pillows are known to have an unpleasant smell.
- You may have fluff or shake your feather pillow from time to time to maintain its shape.
CHOOSING THE BEST PILLOW BASED ON SPECIAL MEDICAL CONDITION
If you have issues like chronic back, shoulder or neck pain or even more serious issues like sleep apnea and snoring, your pillow may be one of the causes and could also be one of the effective ways to alleviate the situation. Let us check out various medical conditions that influence the type of pillow that you should buy.
An incorrect pillow often triggers allergic reactions during sleep, and the material guilty of this is mostly down feather. Down feather has a high affinity for mite which a lot of people are allergic too. Alternatively, to mitigate the problem, you can opt for a pillow made from materials like cotton, memory foam, and buckwheat which are hypoallergenic and hardly trigger any allergies.
Tip to Note: If you so much love the feel of a down pillow, you should consider buying an alternative down pillow which is usually made from cotton and ensure that you sundry the pillow to get rid of mites.
Snoring can be disturbing; not only for you but for your partner (if you have one). But in many cases, the solution may not require anything complex like a mouthpiece or a machine. The solution could be to buy the right pillow with the right elevation.
If you are a side sleeper, your chances of snoring are pretty slim; so, snoring is more common with back sleepers. Elevating the head a little bit works well, but it could cause pain in the neck after some time. This is why memory foam is the most preferred option as it elevates the head but provides pressure relief at the same time.
Neck pain is caused most of the time by sleeping on an old mattress or not having a proper pillow. Although, some other factors could be responsible such as an underlying health condition which is why you should consult a doctor before deciding on anything. A lot of people do not consider their weight or preferred sleeping position. For stomach sleepers, their pillow should have a low loft to prevent curving in the neck. Side sleepers need a bit of contouring from the base of the neck to the ear while back sleepers should use pillows with a medium loft that provides contouring around the spine.
For the type of pillow to use, memory foam is incredibly efficient when it comes to relieving pressure but if you are more inclined towards natural or organic materials, opt for down or latex.
Nobody loves migraines because it can get bad at times and even last for as long as 72 hours. Migraines can get in the way of your regular daily activities and prevent you from carrying out the simplest tasks. Migraines occur as a result of a spasm of the main artery that sends blood to the brain. When the artery contracts, migraine occurs.
One of the factors that lead to migraine is having an incorrect sleeping posture, and with the right pillow, you can correct this to prevent any further irritation to your nerve.
We recommend that you should get a pillow made from memory foam, buckwheat, and latex to help you keep your neck aligned naturally. These materials also have excellent cooling properties.
There are some pillows that are designed to help cure obstructive sleep apnea and these pillows force you to be a stomach or side sleeper while you enjoy enough neck and head support in the process. As you probably know already, if you have sleep apnea, you should not sleep on your back so that you do not aggravate your condition.
With the construction of memory foam, you get to enjoy impressive contouring, and it also allows CPAP machines to stay in place without causing any form of discomfort.
You may be wondering why toddlers are not allowed to use regular pillows. Well, it is because they do not have the head and neck proportions that a fully grown adult has. Other factors also affect choosing the right pillow for your toddler.
Allergies: A lot of babies have allergies that we usually do not know about on time. To be safe, it is a much better option to buy a pillow made from hypoallergenic material and cover.
Firmness: A toddler’s pillow should not be too soft because it increases the risk of the baby getting suffocated. Instead, buy pillows with a medium level of firmness. It is safe, and babies love them.
Cover: An organic cover may be the best bet for you, and if you love covers that do not contain toxic chemicals or dyes, you should buy a polyester or cotton blend.
Fill Material: This is the material used to make the pillow. The most popular choice these days is memory foam, but if your baby does not have any allergies, then you could buy a firm down or feather pillow.
If you are pregnant, there are special pillows that you should use. These special types of pillows are either shaped “U” or “C,” and they help you sleep comfortably while easing the amount of pressure going to your stomach. Below are some considerations when buying a pillow for pregnancy;
- Does the pillow have a washable cover? Most of the high-end products in the market these days have covers that can be washed with a machine. Think about the stress of cleaning your pillow cover during winter.
- Size: If you are pint-sized and you buy a large pillow, you may not feel as comfortable as you should be.
- Filling: The filling of a pillow is perhaps the most important aspect of buying a pillow. If you do not have allergies, a feather or down pillow may be an excellent choice for body pillows during pregnancy. If you need a bit of contouring and hug, you should buy a memory foam.
FINAL CHECKLIST FOR PILLOW SHOPPING
To get a pillow that suits you, your health and physical condition, and your sleeping preferences, make sure you consider the following checklist;
Choosing the size of the pillow
- What is the size of your current mattress?
- Do you like small pillows, medium-sized pillows or long pillows?
- Do you place your entire head on the pillow or a part of your head?
- Are you a restless sleeper that tosses and turns on the pillow?
- Do you work, read or watch television in bed?
Determining the loft of the pillow
- Are you a stomach, side or back sleeper?
- What is your body weight?
- Do you have a small/light or large/heavy head?
- Do you have narrow, broad or average-sized shoulders?
- What type of mattress do you sleep on currently?
- What is the firmness level of your current mattress?
- Do you place your head partially or wholly on the pillow when sleeping?
Choosing the type of pillow.
- What is your budget?
- How long do you intend to use your pillow for?
- Do you experience severe pain in your shoulders or neck?
- Do you need a pillow that eases pressure on your body?
- What is the firmness level that you prefer?
- Do you have any allergic reaction to materials used to make pillows such as down or latex?
- Do you sleep hot?
- Do you prefer machine-washable pillows or the pillows that require hand-washing o dry-cleaning?
- Do you want your pillow to have a customizable loft?
Evidently, from all that we have discussed thus far, the idea of the best pillow is subjective. There is no best pillow as different people have what suits them depending on their needs or situation. In the end, personal preference prevails no matter how beneficial a particular type of pillow is. Different fill and different cover materials provide different levels of comfort, support, cooling, and firmness.
We hope that this compilation has helped you know what brands are the pillow brands that you should set your sights on and what products should you specifically buy for specific personal and medical needs. Contact us if you need a review or more information about any product.
You May Also Be Interested in the Next Posts on Our Website: