If you are in search of a bed made entirely of foam that fits your personal needs and budget, the Tuft & Needle may be the bed that you need. The Tuft & Needle brand is focused on creating a basic comfortable mattress without using fancy foams, adding unnecessary frills yet the final product was released to the market at a moderate price. The Tuft & Needle mattress delivers a unique cooling comfort, adequate support, and top-notch pressure relief no matter what your sleeping position or style is.
Tuft & Needle Mattresses have a starting price point of $350, and for a bed-in-a-box, We tested it to find out if this ridiculously affordable price delivers higher quality than the other beds in its price category. We also observed what type of sleepers will enjoy sleeping on this bed. Keep reading this Tuft & Needle bed review to find out the important things that We uncovered about this bed.
TUFT & NEEDLE NOD MATTRESS
Price: $395.00 (For Queen Size)
Ratings: 4.3 out of 5 stars
Customer Satisfaction: 87%
Avaliable Sizes: TWIN/TWIN XL/FULL/QUEEN/KING/CAL.KING
Tuft & Needle is a reputable and well-known company.
The price is below the average price of many beds-in-a-box.
It relieves pressure and has close-conforming performance.
Excellent motion transfer.
Every Tuft & Needle bed is shipped without extra charges.
It comes in one firmness level option which means it may not be suitable for every sleeper.
The foam used has low density.
It has little or no edge support.
Tuft & Needle as a company was founded by two software engineers from Silicon Valley in 2012. These engineers had for a long time had problems with mattress companies not being transparent and fair. They established a company of their own, and since inception has produced beds with lower price tags than many of the popular mattress brands.
The company started with the production of one mattress which we are reviewing currently which was designed for all types of sleepers. And the founders leveraged their knowledge of technology and their backgrounds to carry out a variety of tests and designed many prototypes. After several iterations and the creation of the company’s proprietary foam, the first mattress was launched.
Now, Tuft & Needles have put another mattress model in the market named the Mint Mattress which has an additional layer of adaptive foam to provide pressure relief. This Tuft & Needles Review will contain a side by side review of these two foams so you can have an idea of what Tuft & Needles products deliver to the average user. Tuft & Needle also offers various bedding accessories and furniture products to create an all-round bedroom experience.
Also, we thought you should know where the name, Tuft & Needle came from. According to the founders, they wanted something modern and authentic that they could use for many years to come. One of the founders memorably recounted how he used a tufting needle to make his first mattress. They came about the name this way.
MAJOR FEATURES OF THE TUFT & NEEDLE MATTRESS
The Tuft & Needle feels like a medium firm mattress which means it would fall somewhere around 6.5 on a scale of 10. Many heavy users may find the mattress firm. Even though the top memory foam layer is quite soft, when you press through the top layer, you will feel the firm support layer beneath it.
During my testing of the mattress, the support we've got was quite profound. The foam pressed into and filled up my lumbar area and sucked in my hips. My shoulders and hips felt the pressure relief, but the moment we laid on our stomach, the support we got was not enough.
The Tuft & Needle can be said to provide a balanced foam feel. Despite the fact that it has a very soft top layer, it is also highly responsive. It is also quite bouncy; so, you do not feel stuck into the mattress while getting a nice pressure relief. If you are thinking of buying the Tuft & Needle, it is important that you put your weight and size into consideration because heavier sleepers may find the mattress below-par in terms of support.
Tuft & Needle is a bed-in-a-box mattress, and it comes that way until it is delivered to your doorstep. Its design can fit into a wide variety of bed frames which include adjustable frames, slatted frames and box springs. The bed has a height of 10 inches. It comes with a thin cover made from micro polyamide and polyester, and this cover does not take time to get dry. Due to the thinness of this cover, it delivers a superb airflow and breathability.
The company has several times spoken against many mattress manufacturers who use excess low-quality layers and command high retail prices. These excess layers do not only reduce the value of the mattress, but they also end up using up more glue than necessary and this, in turn, gets in the way of temperature regulation and easy flow of air through the mattresses.
To fix this problem, the brand opted to use high-density polyurethane foams to create two separate layers for its mattresses.
The top layer: Here you will find 3 inches of Tuft & Needle’s proprietary foam, the T&N Adaptive® Foam. The kind of support and pressure relief that this material delivers are similar to the ones obtainable in latex and memory foam except that this proprietary foam does not have the drawbacks of trapping heat. The T&N Adaptive® Foam is infused with cooling gel and excellently uses graphite to wick away heat.
The base layer: Here you will find 7-inches of poly foam firmer than the top layer and responsible for giving the mattress its shape.
As a bed-in-a-box mattress, the Tuft & Needle mattress is delivered in plastic in which you will find the mattress wrapped and sealed. You do not have to assemble anything when you take delivery of the mattress. You get to enjoy free shipping within the United States except for some parts such as Hawaii and Alaska. When you are checking out on your order, you will see the total fees you are to pay. For users buying from Canada, they can purchase on Amazon and have their mattress shipped via FedEx Ground, and it gets delivered within two to five days.
At the moment, Tuft & Needle does not have any additional delivery services that you can enjoy. You also cannot enjoy old mattress removal services. The best the company can do is help you locate the providers of these services in your vicinity.
UNBOXING THE MATTRESS
The Tuft & Needle mattress comes compressed in a box, and you will have to remove the rolled-up mattress from the box. After removing the mattress, you find a way to get it on your bed. To remove the mattress, cut the first layer of the plastic until you can lay the compact mattress flat on the ground. Cut through the last plastic later, and your mattress will begin to expand. Make sure you clear off any excess plastic and leave the mattress for some hours to breath and expand to its full size.
Once you purchase a Tuft & Needle mattress, you are entitled to a 100-night sleep trial, and if during the time of this sleep trial, you do not wish to keep using the mattress, you can return it. The company will pick it up from you at no cost, and they will refund your full money to you.
You should also note that the sleep trial applies to Amazon purchases as well. The customer only has to initiate the return through Amazon directly. Amazon purchases in Canada only have a 30-day return period.
Every Tuft & Needle mattress is covered by a warranty of ten years, and the company will repair or replace any mattress found to have some defects owing to craftsmanship or materials used for production.
TUFT & NEEDLE MATTRESS PERFORMANCE
Many customers have reported that Tuft & Needle Adaptive Foam has an excellent motion isolation feature. It isolates motion by trapping it and making sure it does not transfer to the other parts of the mattress.
This is not important to every buyer, but some buyers do consider this. When buying a mattress, you should consider edge support to serve two functions – sitting on the edge of the mattress and sleeping on the edge. Not all compressed and all-foam mattresses perform excellently in this area. These foams usually give in when you sit or lie on the edge of the mattress.
The Tuft & Needle mattress features a top layer infused with cooling gel and graphite that wicks heat away to make the mattress cooler and more breathable.
Off-gassing is common with compressed mattress, and this Tuft & Needle mattress is no exception. When you unpack the mattress from the box, there is a lingering smell that takes a few hours or days to dissipate.
The Tuft & Needle mattress has a solid base support core of 7 inches with a pressure-relieving top layer adaptive foam. These two separate layers work hand in hand to deliver customized support. As the weight of the users puts pressure on the mattress, the mattress responds by providing support to the weight.
The proprietary adaptive foam created by Tuft & Needle conforms excellently and contours to the body of the sleeper while reducing excess sinkage. Customers have also reported a high level of pain relief with this mattress.
The brand is one of the brands that have existed for many years in the online mattress industry and have performed excellently with their products and service delivery.
Tuft & Needle Mattress was designed for people who desire their beds to have a minimal sink. It also does not prevent movement like many memory foam beds, and it is not as bouncy as a hybrid or innerspring mattress. But overall, the Tuft & Needle will be suitable for couples during sexual activity.
THE TUFT & NEEDLE MATTRESS IS SUITABLE FOR WHAT TYPE OF SLEEPER?
No matter how many mattress reviews you check out or read, it is important for you to know that your choice of bed is completely personal. Your personal preferences should determine the type of bed you would buy. You must always consider your favorite sleeping position, your body type, weight, comfort and support needs and any special health conditions to consider. This is why most mattresses come with sleep trials in case you make a wrong choice on your first trial; you will be able to return and change it to the right fit.
Virtually every mattress sold online comes in a box and is delivered to your door some days after making the purchase. Tuft & Needle is no exception, and the moment you take delivery of the bed, you can get the hang of the proper unboxing and set up.
After setting the mattress on your bed, your 100-night sleep trial begins. The company allows you to test the bed in the comfort of your home. And it is during this period that you get to decide whether you like the mattress enough to keep it or that you would like to return it. Give your body some weeks to get used to the mattress and also make sure you break in the mattress as soon as you can. Beds get soft over time, and you really want to make sure that happens soon enough so that you can have an idea of what the bed will feel like after a few years of use. 100 nights is the equivalent of three months and should be more than enough for you to know whether the Tuft & Needle mattress is one that you would like to keep. Most users usually decide within the first month.
If you end up not liking the mattress within the trial period, you are entitled to a full refund of money paid when you made the purchase. The company will send over someone close to you or from a local charity to pick up the mattress, and you do not have to pay anything for this pickup.
Majority of people who have bought the Tuft & Needle mattress have kept their mattress, and many other mattress brands cannot afford free trial periods, free shipping and free returns. According to Tuft & Needles, 95% of its buyers keep their bed. So, if you are among this majority, one vital information is that you have a warranty of ten years on the mattress that covers manufacturer’s defects and poor workmanship.
WHY SHOULD YOU PURCHASE THE TUFT & NEEDLE?
- You are looking for a mattress that delivers high value: A queen-sized Tuft & Needle costs $600 which is quite an affordable price tag on an all-foam mattress. It has a simple construction, but for that price, it is no doubt a valuable deal.
- You do not have a specific sleeping position: This is a mattress that delivers a medium level of firmness. Back and side sleepers will find it comfortable enough to get a restful sleep.
- You need a sleeping mattress to keep you cool: Not every all-foam mattress is breathable, but this one is different. If you do not want to sleep hot at night, but you want the comfort of foam, this is the mattress you should buy. If you, however, want a mattress that has a classic memory feel, you may not like it.
WHY YOU MAY NOT WANT TO PURCHASE THE TUFT & NEEDLE
- You are a stomach sleeper: If your primary sleeping position is on your stomach, this mattress may not provide you adequate support. Stomach sleepers often feel more comfortable on a firmer mattress that provides little sink for the hips.
- You have a heavy weight: This is not the best mattress for heavier people. It just might not provide the necessary support that you need. You may want to buy a firmer mattress that has coils in it.
- You love either a very soft or very firm mattress: If you are the type that loves sleeping on mattresses at the extremes of the scale, you may not like the Tuft & Needle because it has a medium level of firmness.
THE MARKETING ACCURACY OF TUFT & NEEDLE
Tuft & Needle has made some marketing claims which our website find questionable. Below are some of those claims.
- According to the company, it claims that its mattress is more highly rated than any other mattress. In its words, it has “More 5-star Ratings Than Any Other Mattress.” This claim is also marked with an asterisk saying, “Based on reviews for mattresses that cost $500 or more on Amazon.” Sleep Like the Dead thinks this sort of qualification should not be made with an asterisk because the queen size of Tuft & Needle costs $595 which is $95 more than the category of the mattress not mentioned in their claim.
- According to Tuft & Needle, they have more than 130,000 combined reviews on Yelp, Google, Amazon, Tuftandneedle.com and Trusted Store. By Sleep Like the Dead’s calculations, the total reviews that the brand has is only about 88,000 as against the 130,000 claims.
- From the graphics used for each of the following websites, Google, Amazon, Yelp, tuftandnneedle.com, and Trusted Source, it implies that each Tuft & Needle gets 5-star ratings from each of the sources which is the highest they can get. A breakdown of the ratings is discussed below;
- It has an actual rating of 4.2 stars on Amazon.
- On Google Trusted Store, it has a total score rating of five stars which is 4.9 out of 5, and only about 30% of these reviews are written by people who are truly using their Tuft & Needle mattress and are writing about their real experience with the product. The remaining reviews are more than likely solicited from buyers at the time of purchase which means those buyers only reviewed the purchase and delivery process. It could also be from customers who did not sleep on the mattress for more than three nights or from customers who left one-star rating without stating what they were reviewing whether it is the ordering process or the mattress’ performance in itself.
- On tuftandneedle.com, there is no star rating system; so, it does not count.
- On Yelp, Tuft & Needle HQ in Phoenix, Arizona has a 4.5-star rating.
- According to the company, it could charge $3,500 for each mattress, but it chooses not to. Sleep Like the Dead thinks this is a misrepresentation of facts. In a way, Tuft & Needle is trying to make the public believe that its mattresses are worth $3,500. If they are, why sell it for less?
- Tuft & Needle says they cannot guarantee that their users will love it, but there is a 95% chance that they will. It also claims that 95 percent of their users keep their Tuft & Needle mattress. This is another misleading statement because a large percentage of people who end up not liking their mattresses never return it.
- Tuft & Needle claims that its foam can be used by any sleeper regardless of weight or size. More than 20% of the current owners of the mattress would disagree with this statement.
- According to the company, its Mint mattress provides “unbeatable support.” It only delivers average support and claiming that average support to be “unbeatable” is taking things too far.
- According to Tuft & Needle, their comfort layer foam is of “high density” but sleep like the Dead thinks their foam has a moderate density and that is even being generous about it.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT TUFT & NEEDLE?
Does T & N have any certifications? If yes, which ones?
All of T & N mattresses have the UL GREENGUARD Gold Certification which means that the product is pro-healthy living and it contributes to making your indoor environment healthier. All of their foams are also CertiPUR-US certified which means they are not made with toxic materials, chemicals, harmful metals, and ozone depleters. The mattress cover also has the OKEO-TEX certification and thus is certified to be free of any harmful chemicals.
Serta Simmons bought Tuft & Needle, what does that mean for the brand?
In all honesty, we do not have much information about the purchase or what Serta Simmons will do with the brand. We are guessing that the company will keep operating as it was except that Serta Simmons may not take over the manufacturing of the mattresses since that is the area of expertise of Serta Simmons. If at all we have an opinion about this, we think the acquisition is a good one because Tuft & Needle will remain. We may likely see more mattresses and products released in the foreseeable future, but we do not expect anything to change about the current operations of T & N.
Do T & N mattresses have a specific sleeping surface they are designed for?
You can place your T & N Mattress on any solid surface that does not have much flex such as box springs and slatted frames. There are also claims that the mattress works excellently on adjustable bed frames, but we cannot confirm that because we did not test it.
Are there memory foam variants of T & N mattresses?
No, and Tuft & Needle made it so deliberately. It is one of the brand's selling points and marketing strategy. The brand does not use memory foam in its beds. On the tag, the brand states that the mattress is 100% polyfoam which is a common thing for bed-in-a-box mattresses.
Where is Tuft & Needle manufactured?
It is a United States-based company which is quite surprising considering the fact that the mattress costs less than a thousand dollars.
Does Tuft & Needle sell other products?
T & N has a lot of other products apart from its two mattresses. They sell duvets, bed sheet sets, mattress toppers, pillows, and mattress protectors. The company also has a whole furniture section where you can shop for bed frames, pouches, and mattress foundations. They do not offer adjustable bed frame at the moment.
Tuft & Needle has established itself as one of the big names in the online mattress industry. The brand was one of the brands that pioneered selling mattress online and has maintained its popularity and reputation till date. The Tuft & Needle mattress is a two-layered construction that consists of a proprietary foam that conforms closely to the sleeper’s body without too much sink like some foam beds. It also offers excellent motion isolation pressure relief and support without costing an arm and a leg. It is one of the impressive mattresses out there that is moderately priced.
You May Also Be Interested in the Next Posts on Our Website: